1. Read to Her All The Time

Read to her all the time. It was the first thing that came to mind when I created the list to be the best mother I can be, and to that I think speaks volumes.

To me reading is more than just words on a page. It is about finding answers within those pages. Seeking other worlds in which to escape or to immerse yourself in. When children are really young (like my daughter is) it is the cuddles on the lap as you point to each word. It is, finding a joy of learning at such a young age.

I always loved reading growing up and I think that partially is because my Mema (grandma for those non-German raised people out there) was a librarian when I was young. I actually tried (and almost successfully) ran away to visit her at the library when I was about 2. (Thankfully some relatives happen to be driving by and scooped me up.) I found solace in history books dreaming of archaeological digs in every romanticized version there could be. I remember, going to the library, finding books on horses, trying to convince my parents to buy me one. I want her to feel as though books are her resource. They are a boundless source of knowledge, inspiration and self realization. I want her to discover things about herself that she could only learn from reading. What genre does she like best? What is her favorite author? Does she relate to the villain or the hero?

Already E has started to pick out her favorites (and she is only 3 months old). Dr. Seuss keeps her intrigued and fascinated as the words rhyme in her ears and the pictures catch her attention. Her daddy really wants her to like the 5 minute Star Wars stories (but I am pretty sure that time will come).

When she is slightly older, I cannot wait to take her to the library to browse the shelves and see the wonder and awe of looking at the thousands of books lining the shelves. I cannot wait to see the joy fill her face as she picks up a book (or a few) and brings them up to the counter to check them out to bring them home. Reading, for me, is so much more about just the books, but about the memories that can surround them.

Hopefully she will enjoy both my husband and my love of reading. And if not, at least she will learn one thing. Books will always be everywhere at home.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who am I? A New Realization